How do you normally handle those waiting – wasteful – hours during doctor’s or dentist’s visit?
What about the 15 minutes waiting for the start of a meeting; or the four hours sitting in the stand waiting for the arrival of a politician or some VIP? Whether it’s waiting at the mechanic shop for oil change or for your flight at the airport, instead of getting frustrated, why not put that time to good use. As you look over your daily to-do list, identify places that you are likely to have to wait, and plan ahead.
Then you can go prepared with an easy to carry project or reading. You can even keep something in your car or briefcase that you would enjoy doing while waiting. Perhaps it’s catching up on popular magazines or business journals.
You might take that time to plan your next decorating project and identify the items that you need to purchase. Here are dozen ways to use wait time productively and make the time pass faster:
1. Read a motivational book that will change your mindset in ways that will empower you to reach new goals.
2. Use your day planner to make a to-do list for next week
3. Carry a Moleskine notebook and draft some ideas.
4. Try meditation – ten or fifteen minute super-charger meditation will give you enormous benefit.
5. Scan the directions to a building project or clothing pattern and get the process firmly in mind before you start to cut.
6. Bring a pile of coupon pages collected from several weeks of newspapers. As you clip the coupons, add in the proper tab of a coupon file
7. Plan what you need for a birthday party, barbecue or other social event that you are hosting or coordinating
8. Carry a small tote with knitting, crochet or mending to work on while you wait.
9. Sketch at random in a small sketchbook that fits in your pocket or purse.
10. Study for an upcoming test or review material so you help your child study
11. Learn a foreign language on your Mp3 podcast or smartphone. Or listen to an audio-book.
12. Work crossword puzzles or Sudoku
Whatever you do, just do not let that time go wasted. Time is too precious to waste. Be productive.
Tell us how you normally spend those waiting periods.